Saturday, June 6, 2009

Capron Park Zoo

Today Connor and I decided to get away from the ordinary and take a trip to the Capron Park Zoo in Attleboro, MA. It's a smaller zoo perfect for little kids, and perfect for Mom and Connor.

Our first stop was the Kangaroo's. They were basking themselves in the lack of sun, but I did manage to get a few of them up and around. This was the first time using my 70-300 mm lens, so a few pics are on the blurry side, but I'm not a professional so I'm not too bothered by it.

Next were the lions, which were by far Connor's favorite. I wish I could have gotten a picture of his face. All excited, and arms flapping in the air. I think they were the easiest animals to see up close - all others were hiding behind things. But these lions were BIG and close to us. Connor did have the opportunity to get up close and personal with a snake (which MOM even touched) but he had other plans.

We saw tons of other animals like the Sloth Bear, Snow Leopard, Wart Hogs, etc. The part that Connor loved was being able to walk around by himself (with Mom as an appendage, of course). He led us right to the llamas and goats which we could have fed if Mom had a quarter. Connor thought the goat was funny because they were the same height - he was literally eye to eye with him.

Another one of Connor's most favorite parts of the day was the bubble machine. The zoo had this random box, which looked like an old bird's perch, that kept producing bubbles. He LOVED it and stayed there for quite some time, (which his very odd for him - usually he likes to just RUN). After the bubbles we had some lunch and then explored the meerkats, orange monkey's and other fun animals.

On our way out of the park we had to hit the playground for a swing or two and a ride down the slides. Our day was topped off with a free ice cream at Friendly's when we got home. I'd say we had a VERY fun day! Check out all of the zoo pictures in the slideshow to the right.


Sleepy Snow Leopards.


Kangaroo Jack?


I think this lioness was posing for us.



Sloth bears playing.



Connor and his bubbles.


I forget the name of this cat, but it's a cat.


This Lemur was sunning himself just before this was taken.


It's a tough life, being the King of the Jungle and all.


I forget the name of this animal, too. But if you're truly interested I'm sure you could look it up. Starts with a B, I believe.


Swing time!

2 comments:

The Plateniks said...

yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it there...I'm adding you to our blog list thing so I know when you put new pictures...hopefully the boys can meet someday (and fight it out for Mairead I guess)

Mairead Elizabeth Hickok said...

That place looks great- we are definitely going to have to check it out pretty soon. The pictures are great- I LOVE the one of him on the swing! I'm glad Megan told us about it- she always knows about fun things to do!