Friday, November 30, 2012

The Best Decisions

It's been two and a half months since Connor started Kindergarten.  And I have to admit, when he first started, I kept wondering if we had made the right decision.  In Stoughton, he wouldn't have been eligible for Kindergarten until next year, but I really felt he needed it - not only the structure, but the socialization.  I knew it would be difficult for him, especially when the months preceding his start of Kindergarten his behavior at daycare was less than perfect.  But Joey and I both felt that he needed a challenge, and that meant sending him to Kindergarten in Brockton (because I work for the school system, we're allowed to send our students to Brockton schools).

The first few weeks of school were rough.  His teacher told me that he would wander, just leaving the classroom, or the line, or the lunch table, whenever he felt the urge.  He ended up at a peanut-free table at lunch and he most likely had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with him.  In class, he wouldn't respond to his name, and when he spoke it was barely audible.  Connor wasn't following directions very well, and this had his teacher concerned.  I was concerned, too.  I had knots in my chest every day that I dropped him off, hoping that he would be alright, and they wouldn't go away until I picked him up at 3.  I questioned whether we made the right choice, but always knew that because of his younger age that all of these things were going to be an issue.

Skip to November and parent-teacher conferences.  His teacher said in her twelve years of teaching, she's never seen a kid start where Connor started and be where he is now in such a short period of time.  He's actively involved in his learning, he raises his hand, participates in class, stays in line, stays at the lunch table, listens to his teachers, and follows directions.  He's great at Math and ELA, and always does his work.  It's amazing.  To say it was a relief is an understatement, but I'm also extremely proud of him.  We've worked very hard at all of these skills, and to see him flourish makes me one proud Momma!

Since I pick Connor up every day, I get to see how he is socially.  He's gone from being "very shy" (as he would say), to giving kids hugs and waving goodbye.  I pick him up from extended day and everyone is saying "bye, Connor Estee!"  Teachers and custodians know him by name, and I hear him talking their ear off as they walk him to the cafeteria to start his day.  He makes it a point to chase a kid down at dismissal JUST to say goodbye.  Yesterday he was dismissed at the same time as a girl who had an eye patch.  She gave him a big hug goodbye and said "I love you", and Connor said "I love you, too".  My heart melted.

Joey has even said that he's noticed a difference in how Connor plays at home.  He's more apt to try new ways to play and involve others, rather than just focus on one way to do something and continue to do that over and over.  Needless to say, we feel that even though it was tough at first, that we absolutely made the right decision.  Connor has blossomed.  Even though there are still plenty of things to work on, he has come so far in such a short amount of time.  I'm so very proud of him and how hard he works each and every day!